The School of Translation and Foreign Languages of St. Petersburg State University and the Faculty of Modern Languages of St Petersburg University
17–19 June 2021.
Simultaneous interpretation between Russian and English is provided during presentations included in the main programme.
The purpose of the event is to unite all those involved in translation activities on one platform. The event will be useful for students studying translation and interpreting, novice and experienced translators, heads of translation agencies, teachers, as well as everyone, without exception, who wants to get acquainted with this interesting profession, its outstanding representatives and research issues.
According to the established tradition and responding to numerous requests from participants, the Summer School of Translation and Interpreting will be held in Zoom and will again assemble a unique panel of participants: these are specialists with colossal experience in teaching and research, leading practitioners working at events of the highest level and working in the largest international organizations and modern translation companies, translation studies scholars, employers and experts in translation and interpreting technology.
The number of conference participants is growing – so is the scale of the event. Each time we try to make the programme richer and more unique. This summer the school will consist of the main part and an expanded block of breakout sessions (English, French, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Finnish, German, Greek, Arabic).
- Tatiana Chernigovskaya, Doctor of Biological Sciences, Director of the Institute of Cognitive Research, Corresponding Member of the Russian Academy of Education, Honored Worker of Higher Education, Honored Scientist of the Russian Federation, member of the Council for Science and Education under the President of the Russian Federation, member of numerous Russian and international societies, and leading specialist in the field of cognitive research in Russia and abroad
- Irina Alekseeva, founder and Director of the School of Conference Interpreting & Translation, Ph.D. in Philology, Professor of the Department of Translation of Herzen Russian State Pedagogical University, Head of the Strategic Center for the Development of Translation Education in Russia at the Russian Academy of Education (Moscow), practicing translator and author of 17 books.
- Andrey Falaleev, member of the International Association of Conference Interpreters (AIIC), author of a series of textbooks on interpretation from English into Russian, teacher of simultaneous translation at the Graduate School of Translation and Interpretation at the Monterey Institute of International Studies (USA), practicing simultaneous interpreter
- Merja Karppinen, Professor, Director of the Language Center, Saimaa University of Applied Sciences (Finland)
- Pavel Palazhchenko, a world-renowned interpreter who participated in key negotiations and sessions of the Soviet Foreign Ministry and the UN General Assembly, personal interpreter of Mikhail Gorbachev and Minister of Foreign Affairs Eduard Shevardnadze, continues to work at the UN, the Council of Europe
- Viktor Prokofiev, an interpreter who was involved in high level talks including R. Reagan, Mikhail Gorbachev, Bill Clinton, George Bush Sr., Richard Nixon and Boris Yeltsin. Victor Prokofiev interpreted during historic SALT negotiations. Currently, he specializes in legal interpreting, including for London courts
- Dmitry Buzadzhi, simultaneous interpreter, Ph.D. in Philology, graduate of the Moscow State Linguistic University, Associate Professor of the Department of English Language Translation, lecturer at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies (Monterey, USA)
- Alexey Kozulyaev, Ph.D. in Pedagogy, one of the most authoritative experts in audio-visual translation, leading translator of video content in Russia, who has been working in this industry for over 20 years, Head of RuFilms Group.
1500 Russian rubles.
1. Participation in lectures and seminars with the opportunity to ask questions to speakers
2. Participation in masterclasses in consecutive and simultaneous interpreting and literary translation (depending on the selected section)
3. Access to all materials provided by the speakers.
4. Access to video recordings of all lectures and masterclasses of the event.
5. Certificate of participation indicating the duration of the professional development course (24 academic hours).
14 June 2021.